Sunday, February 13, 2011

Re-imagining Visual Framing


 


One of the main reasons I was drawn to this piece of Ben Goossens’ work is because of the composition.  One thing we talked about with his work is how you will see a lot of pieces where there is one larger object on one side and a smaller on the other, and this one is another example of that.  I was also drawn to the colors used, because they are pleasing and natural to the eye, because of the grass and sky. I also liked the image because it seemed like it wasn’t as dark as a lot of the other ones, which really made it more noticeable to me.  The main reason I reframed the image the way I did was because I think the elements in both photos have the same vertical visual movement, and I wanted to show this by using two objects in the frame, rather than just a more direct vertical one and keep an affinity to the original image. I also wanted to follow his example in the frame of having one larger object and one smaller object. Both images have a consistent visual rhythm and a nice mix of vertical and horizontal line, which reinforces the rhythm. I think Ben Goossens framed the image the way he did because you can see both objects fully, without them being cropped out of the frame. They are also framed so that there is not a lot of extra space around the outside of the image. This image also uses the same theme as many of his other works of art, which make it a piece stylistic of him. I also think the original image does a good job of expressing the rule of thirds. The first thing you look at is the window, then the top of the chair, then the intentional blank space at the bottom, and lastly the owl sitting on the chair. Looking at the picture, I also don’t feel that they have much tension. They seem pretty straight forward, possibly just slightly confusing to figure out the composition and why the objects were chosen to be in the frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment