“Finding Your Howl” – Jonathon Flaum
I think the story that Flaum references about the tiger is really interesting, especially considering the fact that it was written in 5th grade by one of his classmates (if it’s a true story). He describes the cage the tiger was “trapped” in and how much he wanted to escape. Once he finally got the courage to he jumped and landed in another cage at another zoo. I think this story is relatable to anyone who is struggling with a problem they are having. They think the easiest thing to do is just “jump the fence” or run away from the problem instead of dealing with it. In the story, the tiger quickly learns that there is no running away, and his problem just keeps following him wherever he goes. The meaning of this that Flaum is trying to explain is that you have to face your problems, and deal with them face to face, because there is no solution in running away, and there is nowhere to run away to. In order for the cage to die away, Flaum explains, the tiger would have to die as well, because they are connected. To me, the moral of the story is that even though you feel like you are trapped dealing with a certain problem, you have to deal with it or else you will spend a lifetime running from something that will follow you forever, when you could face the problem and deal with the situation to have it end happily.
Favorite quote:
(the first image is the source of my quote)
Video: One quote that really inspires me in the work that I do is “Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm” by Emerson. Even though it’s not very long, it speaks to me because it is a simple statement with a lot of meaning. Thinking about that quote makes me put more emotion into the work that I create. I can tell from looking at a final project whether I was enthusiastic about it or not, because it shows in the final product. This quote means a lot to me because I feel like in order to create something worthwhile, you have to put a part of yourself into it, and once you do that, it also becomes a part of you. It makes it seem like making something you don’t put enthusiasm into is a waste of time, because you won’t create anything worth showing to someone else, and that is what the process is all about.
No comments:
Post a Comment