Personally I gain inspiration from many different places, and it’s hard to pinpoint some of the exact things that inspire me from day to day. I believe that everything and every person you encounter can inspire you to do something different, both in work and in my personal life. Finding inspiration in other people helps me feel like I can do or make something better and that hopefully I can inspire others to do the same. Overall, I am inspired by people in general, and the amazing capabilities and goals of others continue to help me find confidence and inspiration in my own abilities.
Christiaan Van Vuuren
One person that inspires me is Christiaan Van Vuuren, also known as the Fully Sick Rapper. Several months ago while I was randomly stumbling through websites I came upon one of Christiaan’s videos. I found his videos and songs amusing and wanted to learn more about him from the single video I had seen. After some research I learned that he was being quarantined in an Australian hospital with a multi drug resistant case of Tuberculosis. He had never worked with audio or video on his computer before, and after a couple weeks in quarantine, started teaching himself how to do certain effects and make videos that he could post online as a way to pass the time. I think it would take a lot to be in that circumstance and not become depressed and upset about the situation. The tension he creates in his work is constant (at least to me) because you know that even though he is having fun making videos he has no idea how much longer he will be in the hospital, and the release (again, at least to me) is that after 6 long months he is finally allowed to go home. However, as I followed his story and kept watching his videos, I never knew when he would be released either, and I think this is one of the things that has made him so popular. One of the things that I learned from watching his videos and reading about his story is that I have the opportunity to do so much, and that I am lucky to be able to do the things I want and be creative where ever and when ever I want. He has made me want to do all that I am capable of and think about the things in my personal life that make me a creative person.
Frank Lloyd Wright
The above video is a 3D modeled tour of Fallingwater, which is one of my favorite buildings designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. For those of you that don’t know, FLW was an architect revered for his talent and innovation as an architect in the 1900’s. “In all he designed 1141 works - including houses, offices, churches, schools, libraries, bridges, museums and many other building types. Of that total, 532 resulted in completed works, 409 of which still stand.” – franklloydwright.org. As an interior design student he has influenced me to work with the surrounding landscape, and use inspiration from it to influence the design inside the space. He has created so many well known buildings, and I can only hope that I will achieve even a partial amount of his success. In Fallingwater, he uses the shape of the building as an affinity to the surrounding landscape, and actually builds the house on top of a waterfall. The client for the house loved that piece of land, and inside the living room there are actually rocks from the ground that can be used as a seating area near the fireplace. I think the colors he used in the house, like the red windows also creates a contrast with the landscape, and helps the building stand out while it also blends in.
Hayao Miyazaki
“Hayao Miyazaki is one of Japan's greatest animation directors. The entertaining plots, compelling characters, and breathtaking animation in his films have earned him international renown from critics as well as public recognition within Japan.” –imdb.com. After seeing several of Miyazaki’s films, I am continually impressed with the quality and depth each of them has. One of my favorite films of his is Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. I really enjoyed the story to this film, and the way the text and subtext combined to give extra depth to the characters and plot of the film. I quickly picked up on the environmental overtone to the movie, as well as intertextual relations between the individual characters. The moral points of the film and moving storyline inspires me to create with a purpose in everything that I do, so that there is a deeper meaning to what I am trying to convey. The artwork in all of his films is also incredibly impressive to me and subconscious details added just make it that much more enjoyable to watch.
-Beth C.
No comments:
Post a Comment