Friday, March 4, 2011

Game Presentation and Reflection


Here is our game presentation:





The game we created and presented was called Aberdeen, and it is a first preson RPG set in 19th century Victorian Britain. One of the weaknesses in our presentation was possibly how we actually presented the game. We definitely presented it like a class project instead of selling it as an idea to investors. I think doing this would have made the project seem more interesting, because it would have been explained in a completely different way. This was not really part of our actual game design, but it’s possible that some of out other ideas for the game could have come across better if we had changed the way we presented it. I also think one thing we could have improved on was the explanation of our plot. One of the most difficult things to do while presenting is to remember that no one has any idea what you’re talking about. While working in our group we all were pretty much on the same page when it comes to knowing how the game was going to work, and we started to get into specifics of how things would work to make the entire game make sense. However, I think in the short time we had to present everything, it was hard to give a solid summary of what the game would actually be like, and how the story line was going to work with all of the game concepts.

As for the actual concepts themselves, I think once you understand the game you are trying to design, the mechanics are the easiest thing to talk about with another person. You have an idea of how you want people to play, and it becomes (if you are using an existing console) picking pre-determined buttons for specific actions that you decide.  I think one of the more difficult concepts for me personally to figure out are the rules. I understand what they are, but it was hard to figure out how to actually explain them. When playing games I could figure out what they are, but it was difficult to actually try and explain them to other people. I also had the same problem for the objectives at the beginning. It would take a few minutes to process the definition, and then be able to articulate the way the game would actually handle these situations. However, the one great thing about working in a group is that we could all process the information and come up with the most accurate way to describe what we wanted to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment